Give the gift of inspiration

Designed to fire up your interest, Enthusiasm is a fascinating and hopeful novel based on the author’s own true story. In this exceptional masterpiece, Abbott narrates the journey of her life and shares how enthusiasm plays a vital role in pursuing her dream in the writing world—with English as her second language—in her new country.

Here, she exemplifies her experiences, her family and relationships, her inspirations, and her passage towards her remarkable goals. This novel is a reflection of her own life, how she faces obstacles, how she handles life, how she inspires others, how she touches other people’s lives through her works, and how she achieved the amazing successes of her life and endeavors—a perfect blend of life’s spices.

Through Enthusiasm: A Novel Based on the Author's Own True Story, you will be affected by the author’s wonderful story. Filled with hope and inspiration, strength and enthusiasm, this book will draw out the best within your heart and mind.

Available in paperback, hardcover and e-book. Get free S+H, visit these websites:

For book stores, retailers and wholesalers, please visit:

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Unesco Lists Batik As Indonesian Cultural Heritage


Do you ever know the name of 'BATIK'? My husband and I, also my parent and my brother and sisters in Indonesia love wearing Batik.

Batik is regarded as a cultural icon with its own uniqueness. It contains symbols and deep philosophy of the human life cycle -- and it was submitted by Indonesia as a non-material element of cultural heritage.

The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has added BATIK - Indonesia's traditional dyeing technique to its intangible Cultural Heritage list. The listing gives the age-old batik tradition some degree of protection under the UNESCO charter, now it is making official at an event in Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) between September 28 and October 2, 2009.


"Getting batik to be recognized by UNESCO had been a long and complex journey. The Indonesian government had to produce extensive academic research on batik to make their case." Indroyono Soesilo, Secretary to the Coordinating Minister for People's Welfare, as quoted by state news agency Antara on Tuesday, Sept 29, 2009.


I am very sure the Indonesians around the world must be grateful that the work of their (my) ancestors has been acknowledged by the world.

So far, Indonesia has registered nine of its places and practices with the UN's educational, scientific and cultural guardian. Two other cultural heritages are wayang puppetry and the kris. World heritages sites include natural ones such as Komodo National Park, Tropical Rainforest of Sumatra, and historic sites such as the Borobudur and Prambanan temple compounds and the Sangiran Early Man archeological site.

I ever learned how to make Batik when I was at the first year in Junior High School. I was so excited learning how made it on a small size of fabric (handkerchief) by using a method of hand-printing on it and covering with removable wax the parts that will not be dyed. Due to modern advances in textile industry, the technique is also used for fabric incorporating traditional batik patterns that are not necessarily produced using traditional batik techniques.

One day I would love to have a simple tool kit of making Batik. I wish one day when we visit my country, we will come back to USA and bring it. I'm sure my three daughters will be excited to practice making it. It will be fun.

My husband and I have some collections of Batik, either we bought them ourselves or getting presents from family and friends. We both also ever gave Christmas presents to our daughters, Sissy and Mimi in 2002, and in our special day when we got married, we wore Batik, as you see a picture below.


Share/Save/Bookmark


What am I doing right now?

Follow me at Twitter

Tomorrow I'll finish writing chapter 20. Today I'll take a rest after coming back from Dentist. I don't feel good & hope tomorrow I'll feel much better.
about 1 minute ago from web





6 comments:

Blue Jasmine 11:10 AM  

I would be wearing batik to the work tomorrow, Mbak Fid! As a matter a fact, batik has been my favourite for formal gears for so long. Now, I have several collection for semiformal ones.

Fida Abbott 7:46 PM  

Cool. I really want to see you're wearing batik. Do you have a picture of you when wearing batik?

bintang 7:17 AM  

i love batik...when we went to my country on july, we went to jogja, i saw someone made batik..and i promise to my self, oneday if we come back to Indonesia for good, i wanna learn how to make batik...

big huge from me,
bintang

Fida Abbott 7:22 AM  

Hi Bintang,

I'm glad finally I found you again at your new blog.

Thanks for your quick response and left a message here and C-Box.

I really want to have a tool set of Batik one day so my three girls will have a chance to try how make Batik.

Have nice day!

Viviana 3:22 AM  

Hi Fida, I'm Viviana. I'm glad to find you. I have batik clothes for my kids too. I'm Indonesian living in Malaysia.

HOKI 9:02 AM  

Hi Viviana,

So glad to meet you through Blogosphere. I have visited your Blog and will link yours to mine.

Thanks for leaving a message here.

Have nice day.

Labels

Launching 9/28/2009

free counters

About This Blog

It is my Personal Blog. Everything about my hobby, my interests, my thoughts, my writings, etc., I write them here. Enjoy!

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP